Is your baby warmer than usual? Does he have flu and is very cranky because of that?
Well you shouldn’t wait to go the doctor. Instead, check his temperature to figure out whether he/she is suffering from fever or not. If you’re going to use a thermometer for the first time, you might be concerned as to which type is the best thermometer for kids. Also, you must be thinking whether some thermometers are easier to use than others.
This guide will help you choose the best thermometer to take care of your child in a better way.
- 1 Braun ThermoScan 5 IRT4520 Digital Ear Thermometer
- 2 Equinox Digital Thermometer Non Contact Infrared Forehead
- 3 Braun Thermoscan 7 Digital Ear Thermometer
- 4 QQcute dual mode thermometer
- 5 Exergen Temporal Scan Forehead Artery Baby Thermometer
- 6 Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer
- 7 AKID Medical Thermometer
- 8 Braun Thermoscan 5 Ear Thermometer
- 9 Innovo Non-contact digital infrared Thermometer
- 10 DigHealth digital Thermometer
- 11 Pyle Digital Non-Contact Body and Forehead Thermometer
- 12 Safety 1st Gentle Read Rectal Thermometer
- 13 iProven DMT-489 – Best non-rectal thermometer
- 14 Kinsa Digital Smart Ear Thermometer
- 15 Innove FR201 Non-Contact Digital Infrared Medical Forehead Thermometer
- 16 Mademax Forehead and Ear Thermometer
- 17 How does a baby thermometer work?
- 18 Types of baby thermometers
- 19 Products from Amazon.com
- 20 Why is a baby thermometer important?
- 21 Factors to consider before buying a baby thermometer
- 22 How to use the various types of thermometers?
- 23 Age guideline
Braun ThermoScan 5 IRT4520 Digital Ear Thermometer
Braun ThermoScan ExacTemp is equipped with a pre-warmed tip that ensures that the cooling effect of the surrounding canal doesn’t affect the temperature reading.
Guidance System to Eliminate Errors in Reading: While taking temperatures from other digital thermometers, you have to guess whether you’ve placed the tip at the right spot or not.
Contrary to this, Braun ThermoScan has a guidance system installed that beeps and flashes light to direct you to the right spot in your ear for temperature reading.
Braun has made it easy for users to record their previous temperature for future comparisons and references. It records up to eight readings prior to the current one for your facilitation.
- Uses infrared technology for quick and easy temperature reading
- It takes no more than few seconds to tell you the precise reading of your baby’s body without disturbing him
- disposable tips for temperature reading ensures your kids’ safety from contact infection
- The continuous contact of the pre-warmed tip with your skin can raise several health questions
Equinox Digital Thermometer Non Contact Infrared Forehead
This Non- Contact thermometer uses infrared technology that makes temperature reading a quick and easy task.
The device doesn’t have to come in contact with the subject to take accurate readings. Just point it at the baby’s forehead at a 3-5 cm of distance and press the button to record temperature. Could be an alternative for the best baby bath thermometers and taking bathing water temperature.
By using this thermometer, you can recall up to 32 previous readings that will help you keep track of your baby’s health.
This is an all-in-one thermometer; you can not only record body temperature but also temperature of your surrounding and several other surfaces like bathing water.
No need to buy different types of thermometers, when Equinox Digital Thermometer is an all rounder and considered as one of the best baby forehead thermometers.
- Fever Warnings by Screen Backlight
- Safe non-contact Reading
- Unit Change& Temperature Accuracy
- Temperature reading might seem inconsistent
Braun Thermoscan 7 Digital Ear Thermometer
Braun ThermoScan7 is an improved version of ThermoScan with Age Precision Technology.
The term ‘fever’ has a different meaning for various age groups and that is why, the age precision technology in this model comes handy for reading accuracy.
Since it is an in-ear thermometer, the tip needs to be on a precise position to record correct reading. To facilitate this, Braun has installed a guidance system like ExacTemp. It beeps and blinks while guiding you towards the exact spot of temperature recording.
Moreover, the pre-warmed tip further enhances the credibility of your recorded measurements. After every temperature recording, you can just simply dispose of the tip since they are not fixed. A new tip for every temperature measurement ensures that your baby doesn’t come in contact with any germs and infections.
This thermometer helps you to record past 9 measurements without going through any elaborate process. It is automatic, quick and efficient.
- Changeable Len Filters
- Recommended by Paediatricians
- Cover seems annoying
QQcute dual mode thermometer
Forehead thermometers are very easy to use especially if you want to check the temperature of a baby. These thermometers are equipped with infrared technology and you can put them on the baby’s forehead to know the temperature. You can use this baby forehead thermometer even when the baby is sleeping and he/she won’t be disturbed. This QQcute dual mode thermometer has a simple design with an easy to read display that changes color as soon as it senses fever. You can activate the thermometer using a button and can easily interpret the temperature even when it’s dark.
You can use this thermometer on newborn’s forehead too and if your baby is older than one, you can use it as an ear thermometer too as it is convertible. The reading display is large, and you can interpret them within a second. The thermometer doesn’t need any probe cover as it is designed in a way that it remains undamaged.
- It is convertible
- Readings can be read very fast
- The display is large and clear
- You can choose between Fahrenheit and Centigrade
- Batteries aren’t available with the thermometer
Exergen Temporal Scan Forehead Artery Baby Thermometer
The temporal scan or forehead thermometers are the easiest to use but they are a bit expensive than other types of thermometers. You can easily read the thermometer as it is very comfortable to use and all you have to do is to push the button and swipe the thermometer. The swiping is done from the center of the baby’s forehead to the hairline and then you can release the button to read the temperature. The Exergen Temporal Scan Forehead Artery thermometer uses an infrared technology to detect the temperature of the body through the temporal artery and gives the reading in some seconds only.
- It is more accurate than the underarm or ear thermometers
- It can be used for everyone including babies
- It provides quick readings back to back
- It can be used without disturbing the sleeping babies
- It has proven to be effective by many studies
- It doesn’t adjust to the room temperature that quickly. To get the best result, let it rest on the forehead for a few minutes before you use it
- It is not very easy to use, and you will need to practice on it few times before start getting accurate readings
Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer
Rectal thermometers are considered as the most reliable ones as they give very accurate readings. You might be concerned about your baby’s temperature especially if it’s above 100.4 F, and to get accurate results you must have an accurate thermometer. However, you can’t use a rectal thermometer for babies below 3 months of age. If you’re worried about your baby’s skin, you can use a water-soluble jelly which will make sure that the thermometer is gentle to the baby.
The thermometer has an ergonomic design and it is safe to be used for babies. To make sure the thermometer doesn’t go deep, it is designed with a very short probe. If you have a cranky baby who doesn’t sit still, you can easily use this thermometer which will give you correct readings in a matter of seconds.
- It is very accurate
- It has a backlit display
- It can give readings within 10 seconds
- It is rectal
AKID Medical Thermometer
This thermometer is an all-in-one solution to your problems. It not only measures your body temperature through temporal and ear mode but also allows you to check temperature of your room and other objects.
Just a simple press of a button can give you multiple readings for different purposes.
It has a large LCD that shows readings in clear numerals. Furthermore, it has a dual coloured backlight that indicates whether your body temperature is normal, medium or high.
It is important that you keep track of your body temperature especially when you have a fever.
That is why, almost all digital thermometers are equipped with memory recall feature and AKID Medical Thermometer is no exception. It can keep track of previous 35 readings.
- Instant & Accurate Readings
- 2 Year Warranty
- Reported to be inaccurate
Braun Thermoscan 5 Ear Thermometer
The tympanic thermometers (ear thermometers) are not as comfortable and easy to use as the forehead ones, but according to some doctors they are more accurate. These thermometers are designed to be used in a baby’s ear as they can sense the temperature from the ear canal. These thermometers also use infrared technology and detect the heat waves released by the eardrum, and then give correct readings.
However, an ear thermometer can be a bit tricky to use and there are some things to consider too. There are some reviews of these thermometers not giving accurate readings if the probe is dirty or the baby has too much ear wax. Also, it is important to make sure that the ear thermometer is positioned properly inside the baby’s ear, which sometimes gets a bit difficult if a baby is being cranky and is not still. So, it is important to open the baby’s ear canal properly by holding the upper ear, so that the thermometer fits in the right position. To get more than one readings, you’ll have to take out the thermometer from the baby’s ear and then put it back again. However, the Braun Thermoscan5 ear thermometer is an advanced one and it has solved the issue of proper positioning. Whenever the thermometer isn’t properly positioned in the baby’s ear it indicates it so that you can correct the position.
You will be informed with a beep and light alert which will indicate that you have positioned the thermometer correctly. For accurate results, the thermometer comes with a flexible tip that stabilizes the temperature of the ear canal because of the cooling effect of the room. This Braun thermometer is used by many healthcare professionals around the world because of its accuracy and ease of use.
- It can measure temperature in seconds
- It is very easy to use
- It indicates when the position isn’t correct
- The tips are small and flexible and thus it is gentle on baby’s ears
- It comes with disposable lens covers to increase accuracy and reduce the spread of germs
- It can save only previous reading
- It doesn’t have any backlit screen
- There is no color-coded temperature display
- It can’t be used to check the temperature of new born
Innovo Non-contact digital infrared Thermometer
Non-contact thermometers are very handy as they allow you to check the temperature of the baby without even touching them. The Innovo Medical digital forehead thermometer measures the temperature of the body through the temporal artery in the forehead and monitors the temperature using the sleep patterns and the temper tantrums. These thermometers use infrared technology and are also called as ‘forehead’ or ‘temporal artery’ thermometers.
One of the best non-contact thermometers since you don’t have to touch the baby or any object using the thermometer, there is no risk of contamination. It can measure the temperature in just some seconds using a sleek indicator and it provides a beeping sound too. You can also choose to silence the thermometer if you don’t want to disturb the baby. You can measure the temperature of your baby with the touch of a single button and your baby won’t even get disturbed while he/she is sleeping. Additionally, there is a red fever indicator if the baby has fever.
- There is a silent mode option
- You can measure the temperature of a human and an object both
- It gives quick readings
- You can check temperature without touching
- According to some customer reviews, it isn’t much accurate
- The display is a bit difficult to read because of white background
DigHealth digital Thermometer
Some people prefer non-invasive methods of temperature measurement, and underarm thermometers work that way. Since the underarm thermometers are non-invasive, you can use them for newborn babies too. However, to measure the temperature accurately you must make sure that the thermometer is touching the skin of the baby and not the clothing. Also, to get the accurate temperature you’ll have to add 1-degree Fahrenheit to the measured temperature.
The DigHealth digital is one of the best underarm thermometers thats colorful and your child will easily be distracted and won’t bother you while you’re measuring the temperature. The thermometer is very easy to operate, and you just have to use a button to start operating it. The display is large and clear, and you won’t have any difficulty measuring the temperature. The thermometer has a rubber probe which is flexible and gentle on the baby’s skin and you can also switch between Centigrade or Fahrenheit according to your preference. If the baby has fever, the thermometer gives an alarm to indicate it. Also, there is a removable battery cap which allows you to replace the battery when it dies.
- The probe is soft and flexible
- Battery replacement is easy
- The display is large and clear
- You can switch between Centigrade and Fahrenheit
- It doesn’t give quick readings
- It isn’t backlit
- The battery cover is removable, and it may be a choking hazard
Pyle Digital Non-Contact Body and Forehead Thermometer
This best baby infrared thermometer uses infrared technology and it uses advanced technology to measure the temperature. You don’t even need to touch your baby and the thermometer will give you the temperature reading within some seconds. You just have to aim this thermometer towards the baby, just like you use a remote control. After aiming you have to push the button and the thermometer gives instant results. The infrared thermometers are the fastest ones and the Pyle digital non-contact body thermometer is the easiest one to use too.
Good thing is that you can you can download their app in your smartphone and connect the thermometer to it so that you can save the readings and keep a track of them. The app is very user-friendly and there is a chart-based system which can record the readings of the thermometer. Though the thermometer is a bit expensive than others, but it uses cutting edge technology and gives good results too.
- It doesn’t require you to touch the baby to measure temperature
- It has a very easy to read screen
- The readings can be recorded and tracked
- It can connect to a smartphone using app
- It is expensive
Safety 1st Gentle Read Rectal Thermometer
Rectal thermometers are very accurate, but they aren’t easy to use. These thermometers are mostly recommended for newborns to get the most accurate readings. The Gentle Read Rectal thermometer works very well, and it has flexible tip which is gentle and comfortable to be used for an infant. Also, it has an over-insertion guard which tells you that you don’t have to insert the thermometer farther than a particular point.
The thermometer has an ergonomic design and it allows you to grip it comfortably and firmly in you hand. It can give readings in just 8 seconds and you get a beep when the thermometer has done the temperature measurement. Another good feature is that you can switch between Centigrade and Fahrenheit according to your preferred unit. One downside of this thermometer is that it can’t give readings in dark because it doesn’t have a backlit display, and thus you’ll have to use it in light. Also, some thermometers are very quick, and they can give readings in just 2 to 3 seconds, and 8 seconds is a lot.
- It comes with an over-insertion guard
- It allows you to switch between Centigrade and Fahrenheit
- It is very accurate
- It has an ergonomic design
- It doesn’t have a backlit display
- The disposable sleeves don’t fit properly
- It doesn’t give instant readings
iProven DMT-489 – Best non-rectal thermometer
This is a very handy thermometer as it acts as an ear and forehead thermometer both. You can use the Iproven DMT-489 on the baby’s forehead or put it in the ear according to the situation. To use it as an ear thermometer you can remove the cap and put it in the ear canal. It is very easy to switch between the two types of thermometers.
The thermometer has a backlit display which makes it easier to be used in dark. It gives instant results and completes readings within 1 to 3 seconds and can store up to 20 last readings. There is a storage pouch also available which allows you to keep the device safe and sound and also reduces the risk of contamination. The thermometer is quite cheap and is available with a 100-days money back guarantee too(check the cheap baby thermometers for under 5$).
To get the accurate reading from a non-rectal thermometer you must make sure that the device is in accordance with the room’s temperature. To use the thermometer properly, you must keep the thermometer in the room for around 30 minutes before you use it to measure the temperature. However, this sometimes gets a bit irritating when you have to measure your baby’s temperature as soon as possible. Also, using a thermometer in ear is a bit tricky and the beep is loud too. This can disturb your baby especially if he/she is sleeping.
- It can store last 20 readings
- It can be used as a forehead and ear thermometer both
- It alerts you if the baby has fever
- The beep is very loud
- It needs to be adjusted to the room temperature before use
Kinsa Digital Smart Ear Thermometer
Kinsa Digital Smart Ear thermometer can connect to your smartphone using Bluetooth and allows you to keep a track of your baby’s temperature. It is very fast in measuring temperature and gives result within a second. It is a digital thermometer and gives you personalized and real-time guidance on the baby’s condition. The app will guide you about medicine administration and how to comfort your baby while he/she is sick. The battery can last for 2 years and you can take around 1000 readings with this battery. The thermometer can’t be used for a baby who is younger than 6 months.
The smart thermometer pairs with only some smartphones and you must look up this thing before buying. You can check the list of compatible phones and then go ahead. The Bluetooth connectivity also gets a bit difficult sometimes, but the issue resolves when you delete the thermometer app from your phone and then re-install it.
- It has a long battery life
- It is a smart digital thermometer
- It provides reminders, real-time readings, and personalized data
- Sometimes there are connectivity issues
- Can’t be used for babies younger than 6 months old
- Isn’t compatible for all types of smartphones
Innove FR201 Non-Contact Digital Infrared Medical Forehead Thermometer
The Innove FR201 is a unique thermometer and is equipped with many handy features. The thermometer has a handle that features an LCD screen and the numbers light up and make it very easy to read even when its dark. You can switch between Centigrade and Fahrenheit and also choose to keep it silent or audible while you’re measuring the temperature. It also gives an audio and visual fever alert if the baby has a temperature of 99.6 F or more.
The thermometer is equipped with AA batteries and you don’t need to buy them separately. You can use the thermometer right out of the box and keep it in a protective case which is available with the purchase. The device has an automatic shut off system that is programmed for every 10 seconds. It can store around 20 readings and the measurement takes place within a second which makes it easier to take back to back readings. The thermometer is the most accurate one on this list but is the most expensive one too. If budget is not a constraint, this is the best thermometer especially for newborns as it is non-contact infrared forehead device.
- It shuts off automatically
- It gives audio and visual fever alerts
- It gives instant readings
- It allows you to choose either Centigrade or Fahrenheit
- It is very expensive
Mademax Forehead and Ear Thermometer
Mademax Thermometer is not only equipped to take an in-ear reading but is also efficient in taking accurate forehead readings as one of the best non-contact baby thermometers.
Aside from your body temperature, you can also record temperature of other objects and surfaces by changing the operation mode. The reading efficiency of this thermometer has no match as it takes barely a second to record your body heat.
Temperature recall & dual temperature unit: These two features are part of almost all digital thermometers as they are quite useful for keeping health records.
Unit conversion gives you the freedom of deciding on which temperature unit is convenient for you.
Its large LCD comes with a backlight fever alarm as well as sound alarm. You can mute the sound of the alarm if you don’t want to wake up your baby.
- One Second Measurements
- Certification &Validation
- 1 Year Money Back Guarantee
- Voice feature seems off
How does a baby thermometer work?
A baby thermometer is used for measuring babies’ temperature. This type of thermometer works in the similar way as a big thermometer does, but it is smaller, gentler, and easier to use. Some of the baby thermometers are quite versatile and they can be used for many age groups but some of them are designed to be used for a particular age only. To get the best and most accurate results, you must make sure that the baby thermometer is age appropriate. Most of the baby thermometers use infrared technology to measure the temperature and they are very helpful in handling the sickness of your baby.
Types of baby thermometers
Baby thermometers are of different types and you can choose one according to your preference:
- Temporal artery thermometer: Temporal artery thermometer is also known as forehead thermometer. The thermometer measures the temperature by sensing heat from the temporal artery in the forehead. It uses infrared and senses the heat that comes out of the baby’s forehead. These types of thermometers are considered as one of the most feasible ones for newborns.
- Digital thermometer: The digital thermometers use an electronic sensor and a digital read-out to give the readings. Digital thermometers are used in many different ways such as under the arm, rectally, and orally. However, it is important to check whether the digital thermometer you’ve purchased is recommended to be used rectally or orally. This is because of sanitary reasons as you can’t use the same thermometer for measuring orally and axillary temperature at the same time.
- Ear thermometer: Ear thermometer also uses the infrared technology to measure the temperature. To use this thermometer, you just have to measure the temperature by placing the thermometer in the baby’s ear canal. These thermometers are used for measuring the temperature of babies above 3 months of age. Also, it is important to make sure that the thermometer is positioned properly in the ear canal. These thermometers are used for measuring the temperature of babies above 3 months of age. Also, it is important to make sure that the thermometer is positioned properly in the ear canal so that you get accurate results.
- Glass thermometer: Glass thermometer looks like the most common thermometers which are being used for many years. This thermometer should be placed under the tongue to measure the temperature and the mercury level rises as the temperature rises. Now days mercury thermometers are not used because they aren’t considered safe. If you have any such thermometer at your place, you must dispose them off and get a non-mercury one. The glass thermometers can be used axillary, orally, or rectally.
- Forehead strip thermometer: The forehead strip thermometers are a bit different from the temporal artery thermometers. These are disposable ones and are made up of plastic. You just have to place the thermometer on the baby’s forehead and it senses the temperature and then gives the readings. The forehead strip thermometer isn’t very accurate and thus it shouldn’t be relied a lot especially if there is a serious decision needed.
- Pacifier thermometer: A pacifier thermometer is not that accurate in detecting the temperature of the baby and it is not recommended by many healthcare professionals. These thermometers have a digital read-out front and are easy to read. However, a pacifier thermometer isn’t recommended because of its inaccuracy of temperature measurement.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $39.99Was: $49.99
Why is a baby thermometer important?
The thermometers that are used for adults are not appropriate to be used for babies because they are large. This is because these thermometers are designed to be placed under the tongue or under the arm and a baby can’t do that because of the large size. Placing a large thermometer under baby’s arm is not recommended as it doesn’t give accurate results. Some people might think that it isn’t necessary to buy a baby thermometer but let us tell you that it is very necessary because a good baby thermometer will give you accurate readings and can help you whether your baby needs medication when he/she is ill or not.
Old thermometers that are made up of glass and contain mercury are dangerous and should never be accessible to the babies. This is because if the glass breaks and the baby or any person gets exposed to mercury, it can cause serious health risks such as neurological disorder or even death. Buying a baby thermometer is very necessary because it is designed for safe use and help you whenever your baby is sick.
Factors to consider before buying a baby thermometer
Before buying a baby thermometer, you must consider some factors so that you get the right one according to your and your baby’s needs. Following are the things to look out:
- Accuracy: The most important factor to consider is the accuracy of a thermometer, because you won’t take a risk if it’s about your baby’s health. To choose the best thermometer, you must consider the recommendations from the healthcare professionals and go for the one that is the most accurate.
- Speed: When your baby is sick, he can be restless and irritable. To measure the temperature of your baby quickly, you must make sure that the thermometer is speedy. To get the best thermometer speed wise, you must go for one that can give readings within seconds.
- Consistency: What happens when you take two to three readings of your baby’s temperature and they all turn out to be different? You will obviously get confused. To avoid this confusion, you should choose a baby thermometer that is consistent.
- Age suitability: Another important factor to consider is the age suitability. If your baby thermometer isn’t in accordance with your baby’s age, it will not give accurate results.
- Temperature unit: Some thermometers are designed to measure the temperature in Centigrade while others give readings in Fahrenheit. You must choose one according to your preferred unit or go for those that allow switching between the different units.
- Backlit display: Most of the babies get temperature during night time and at this time a thermometer with a backlit display helps. A backlit display allows you to read temperature in the dark without disturbing the baby.
- Sound: Some people prefer a beep or sound for indication that the temperature reading has been finished. A sound indicates that you can now check the temperature reading from the thermometer and that a cycle has been completed.
- Ease of use: Baby thermometers should be easy to use and most of them operate with the touch of a single button. However, some thermometers are equipped with lots of buttons with different features, but if you want a simple one, go for a minimalistic design.
How to use the various types of thermometers?
Baby thermometers differ from each other according to their usage. Following are the main types of thermometers according to their usage:
- Oral thermometer: To use an oral thermometer, you have to place the tip of the thermometer under the tongue of the baby and have the baby close their mouth. If your child has recently ate or drank something, wait 15 minutes before placing the thermometer. Also take out the thermometer when you hear the beep.
- Rectal thermometer: To measure temperature rectally, lubricate the tip of the thermometer after turning it on. Put your baby upside down and lift the thighs, and then insert the thermometer rectally. Make sure that you insert the thermometer only ½ to 1 inch and never force it(best probe thermometer for kids).
- Ear thermometer: After turning on the thermometer, you just have to place it in your child’s ear and then follow the instructions to make sure that it is positioned properly. Hold it in place while it reads the temperature and then remove it when the reading is complete.
- Axillary thermometer: An axillary thermometer has to be placed under the arm of the baby and make sure that it is in contact with the skin properly. You have to hold the thermometer in place and then remove it when it indicates that reading is complete.
- Temporal artery thermometer: This non-invasive thermometer is very easy to use as you just have to place it on your baby’s forehead and then swipe it across the forehead. The thermometer will give readings within seconds.
To use a baby thermometer, you must make sure that it is age appropriate. Some thermometers are designed for newborns, while others are good to go with older babies. Following are the age groups:
- 0 to 3 months: Rectal thermometers are considered the most accurate ones for measuring the temperature of babies aged 0 to 3 months. Also, the temporal artery thermometers are considered accurate for this age group.
- 3 months to 4 years: You can use any type of baby thermometer for this age group. However, if he/she is less than 6 months, you should avoid using a digital one. Rectal, axillary, or temporal artery thermometers are considered accurate for this age.
- 4 years and older: At this age, you can easily use a digital thermometer and the babies are old enough to hold the thermometer under their tongue too, so you can use the oral ones too. Any type of thermometer is suitable at this age.